- 4½ -4¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 3 (1 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon salt (I use sea
- ½ cup Scottish oats
- In large mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
- In saucepan heat milk, honey, oil and salt just until warm (115-120°F).
- Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl.
- Beat at low speed with electric mixer for ½ minute, scraping sides of
- By hand, stir in oats and enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic
- Shape into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double (about 45 minutes).
- Punch dough down; turn out on lightly floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape into two loaves; place in two greased medium loaf
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool on wire rack.